logo
welcome
  • Website
  • Catalog
       

100 Years of the County of Los Angeles Public Library

In September 2012, the County of Los Angeles celebrated our 100th birthday.
Check out facts about the library along with historic photos.

1912 - 1929  |  1930-1949  |  1950-1969  |  1970-1989  |  1990-2012  |  1912-2012: All Facts

    1950 - During this period the County Public Library system produced increased revenue, (although far from sufficient to meet all demands), which made it possible for the County Library to make many improvements in the community branches and strengthen the system's book collection.
  • 1951 - Torrance and Lennox joined Lancaster as "regional operations" (Bellflower became the fourth in 1953).
  • 1952 - The incorporation of a number of new cities had a tremendous effect on the County Library. Cities in the County increased from 45 to 73. New cities withdrew from the County Public Library system to form municipal libraries.
  • 1953 - First book catalog released - a children's catalog.
  • 1953 - The Library was a pioneer when its card catalog was converted to microfilm which could be read by microcomputers.

  • 1956 - Book stock reached one million volumes.
  • 1957 - First Friends of the Library group founded at Claremont.

  • 1961 - First Regional Headquarters Library dedicated - West Covina.

  • 1962 - Fiftieth Anniversary. Library headquarters moved to the new Hall of Records, 322 West Temple Street.
  • 1963 - William Geller appointed County Librarian (1963-1973).
  • 1963 - In February, the Library bought its two millionth book (and 200,000th title) - Ray Bradbury's R is for Rocket.
  • 1963 - In cooperation with the Saugus School District, an additional mobillibrary service was initiated to serve the Saugus area.
  • 1964 - Library received first Library Services and Construction Act (LSCA) funding.
  • 1966 - Federal Government publications program began at depository libraries.

1912 - 1929  |  1930-1949  |  1950-1969  |  1970-1989  |  1990-2012  |  1912-2012: All Facts