logo
welcome
  • Website
  • Catalog
donate
twitter  facebook  pinterest  flickr  instagram

Diamond Jubilee: Seventy Five Years of Public Service

VIII. Looking Back

Table of Contents

Celia Gleason, first County Librarian (1912-24)
Celia Gleason, first County Librarian (1912-24)
Central reference desk, 10th floor, Hall of Records (1916)
Central reference desk, 10th floor, Hall of Records (1916)
Driver for County Librarian, at work on the Library's Buick (1918)
Driver for County Librarian, at work on the Library's Buick (1918)
Willowbrook Library and Post Office (1919). This was the first branch of the County Library (opened in 1913) and Belle B. Jenks (shown here) was its first 'custodian.'
Willowbrook Library and Post Office (1919). This was the first branch of the County Library (opened in 1913) and Belle B. Jenks (shown here) was its first "custodian."
La Cañada Library, second branch of the County Library, was housed in this school building 1917-32.
La Cañada Library, second branch of the County Library, was housed in this school building 1917-32.
The Women's Club was the home of the Rivera Library 1922-52.
The Women's Club was the home of the Rivera Library 1922-52.
Lancaster Library, completed in 1923, was the first community library in a County-owned building.
Lancaster Library, completed in 1923, was the first community library in a County-owned building.
Belvedere Library Improvement Committee (1926).
Belvedere Library Improvement Committee (1926).
Hermosa Beach Library, uniquely located on the municipal pier (1927).
Hermosa Beach Library, uniquely located on the municipal pier (1927).
Delivering reading material at Olive View Sanitarium (c. 1928).
Delivering reading material at Olive View Sanitarium (c. 1928).
Two views of the new Claremont Library (1928).
Two views of the new Claremont Library (1928).
Central Headquarters, 204 North Broadway (1929).
Central Headquarters, 204 North Broadway (1929).
Library delivery fleet outside the Hall of Records (1929).
Library delivery fleet outside the Hall of Records (1929).
Books and Notes of the Los Angeles County Free Library (1931), published from 1926-1955.
Books and Notes of the Los Angeles County Free Library (1931), published from 1926-1955.
The beautiful new Montebello Library, located in the city park (1931).
The beautiful new Montebello Library, located in the city park (1931).
Helen Vogleson, County Librarian, and staff (1932).
Helen Vogleson, County Librarian, and staff (1932).
Delivery truck stop at Fairmont Branch in the Antelope Valley (c. 1932). This small outlet was operational from 1918 to 1946.
Delivery truck stop at Fairmont Branch in the Antelope Valley (c. 1932). This small outlet was operational from 1918 to 1946.
Bellflower Branch Library float in the NRA Industrial Pageant (c. 1934).
Bellflower Branch Library float in the NRA Industrial Pageant (c. 1934).
Reading room at Central Headquarters, 322 South Broadway (1938).
Reading room at Central Headquarters, 322 South Broadway (1938).
Compton Library (1936). This library was a WPA project built to replace the library destroyed in the earthquake of 1933.
Compton Library (1936). This library was a WPA project built to replace the library destroyed in the earthquake of 1933.
Library workshop (1938).
Library workshop (1938).
Shipping room (1938).
Shipping room (1938).
County Library softball team (1938).
County Library softball team (1938).
Artesia, fourth branch in the County system, here a typical 'storefront' library (1938).
Artesia, fourth branch in the County system, here a typical "storefront" library (1938).
Reference desk, Huntington Park Library (1938).
Reference desk, Huntington Park Library (1938).
Class visit to Bell Library (1938).
Class visit to Bell Library (1938).
Reading room at the El Monte Library (1938). This library was a WPA project which boasted carved ceiling beams and paintings depicting historical Indian themes.
Reading room at the El Monte Library (1938). This library was a WPA project which boasted carved ceiling beams and paintings depicting historical Indian themes.
Librarian Vesta Bruner assisting young patrons at the South Gate Library (1939).
Librarian Vesta Bruner assisting young patrons at the South Gate Library (1939).
World War II victory information desk. Many branches served as community civil defense and information centers, as collection points for war relief clothing drives and other activities associated with the defense program.
World War II victory information desk. Many branches served as community civil defense and information centers, as collection points for war relief clothing drives and other activities associated with the defense program.
Opening of the San Gabriel Library (1946). County Librarian Helen Vogleson and Branch Librarian Nella Hutchings receive the keys from Chief Administrative Officer Gruendler, as Supervisor William Smith of the First District looks on.
Opening of the San Gabriel Library (1946). County Librarian Helen Vogleson and Branch Librarian Nella Hutchings receive the keys from Chief Administrative Officer Gruendler, as Supervisor William Smith of the First District looks on.
New signature charging system (Huntington Park Library, 1948). These vertical files were a forerunner to the wheeldex system for filing registration cards.
New signature charging system (Huntington Park Library, 1948). These vertical files were a forerunner to the wheeldex system for filing registration cards.
Chairman Raymond Darby of the Board of Supervisors cuts the ribbon at the dedication of the Lennox Library (1948). This was the first County-owned library building since Lancaster twenty-four years before.
Chairman Raymond Darby of the Board of Supervisors cuts the ribbon at the dedication of the Lennox Library (1948). This was the first County-owned library building since Lancaster twenty-four years before.
Library Book Breakfast (1948).
Library Book Breakfast (1948).
The first mobilibrary on display at the Los Angeles County Fair, with Supervisor John Anson Ford of the Third District and John Henderson, County Librarian (1948).
The first mobilibrary on display at the Los Angeles County Fair, with Supervisor John Anson Ford of the Third District and John Henderson, County Librarian (1948).
Antelope Valley Mobilibrary (1951).
Antelope Valley Mobilibrary (1951).
Children's bookmarks (1951).
Children's bookmarks (1951).
Library headquarters staff (1952).
Library headquarters staff (1952).
<
Bellflower Mobilibrary (1954).
Bellflower Mobilibrary (1954).
Delivering books to inmates at the Hall of Justice (1955).
Delivering books to inmates at the Hall of Justice (1955).
IBM Print Punch, used for the new book catalog (1955).
IBM Print Punch, used for the new book catalog (1955).
Millionth volume added to the collection: Agnes Sycour, Chief Order Librarian; John Anson Ford, Supervisor, Third District; John Henderson, County Librarian (1956).
Millionth volume added to the collection: Agnes Sycour, Chief Order Librarian; John Anson Ford, Supervisor, Third District; John Henderson, County Librarian (1956).
'Study' time at the Norwalk Library (1956).
"Study" time at the Norwalk Library (1956).
Delivering books between Rancho Los Amigos Hospital and Acton Camp (c. 1958).
Delivering books between Rancho Los Amigos Hospital and Acton Camp (c. 1958).
The first Regional Headquarters Library, West Covina (1961).
The first Regional Headquarters Library, West Covina (1961).
Mobilibraries converge for open house at Hawthorne (1962).
Mobilibraries converge for open house at Hawthorne (1962).
Supervisor Frank Bonelli of the First District and William Geller, County Librarian, planning the new Los Cerritos Regional Library in Norwalk (1966).
Supervisor Frank Bonelli of the First District and William Geller, County Librarian, planning the new Los Cerritos Regional Library in Norwalk (1966).
San Antonio Regional Library, Huntington Park, under construction (1970).
San Antonio Regional Library, Huntington Park, under construction (1970).
Dedication of the Carson Regional Library (1972).
Dedication of the Carson Regional Library (1972).
Governor Reagan, Supervisor Kenneth Hahn of the Second District and Carol Moss, County Librarian, at a reception arranged by Mr. Hahn (1974).
Governor Reagan, Supervisor Kenneth Hahn of the Second District and Carol Moss, County Librarian, at a reception arranged by Mr. Hahn (1974).
City Terrace Library interior (1979).
City Terrace Library interior (1979).
Linda Crismond, County Librarian (left), receives proclamation from the Board of Supervisors at the Library's five millionth book celebration (1982).
Linda Crismond, County Librarian (left), receives proclamation from the Board of Supervisors at the Library's five millionth book celebration (1982).
County Librarian Linda Crismond joins Supervisor Pete Schabarum of the First District (right) in cutting the ribbon at the brand new Library Headquarters (1983).
County Librarian Linda Crismond joins Supervisor Pete Schabarum of the First District (right) in cutting the ribbon at the brand new Library Headquarters (1983).
   

Diamond Jubilee:
Seventy Five Years of Public Service
Previous Section      Next Section