A desk and a reading room in a building in the Clearwater-Hynes unincorporated community became the 26th branch of the Los Angeles County Free Library in September 1913. The Clearwater Branch was located on Paramount Boulevard, (then known as Ocean), north of Alondra Boulevard, (then known as Center). It contained 121 books and the first month's circulation was 60 books.
The library was moved to a rented building in 1930. In 1946, the library was moved to 15718 Paramount Boulevard. Two years later the Clearwater-Hynes Community became known as Paramount, although incorporation was still 9 years away. The library's name was changed accordingly to Paramount Library.
A new building was opened in 1955 at 7913 E. Madison and was considered spacious until the new library at present location was completed in 1967. In November 1987, the building was purchased by County of Los Angeles Public Library which all along had been providing services and materials to the community of Paramount and the adjacent area.